Saturday, November 30, 2019

How to Deal With Anxiety the Christian Way




Anxiety can cause serious health problems, if you do not find ways to keep your worries in check. For example, research shows that a man’s risk of getting a heart disease or a heart attack later in life increases if he is diagnosed with anxiety in his late teens or early 20’s
So, how do you deal with anxiety as a Christian? What do you do to check the fears and worries that trouble your mind as a child of God? How do you deal with anxiety that is keeping you awake at night?
In this article, I want to show you how to deal with anxiety the Christian way, if you have a personal relationship with Jesus, so that you can save yourself unnecessary health bills.
So, what should you do?

1.    Remember God’s Deliverance Yesterday

In 1 Samuel 17: 36, 37 when David was facing a big challenge, Goliath, he said, “Your servant has killed both lions and bears; and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them.” In other words, he had faced challenges in the past and he believed he had what it took to deal with the challenge that he was facing him.
In verse 37, David said, “The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” David had the faith that the God who saved him from trouble yesterday, the God who helped him to solve tough problems in the past, the God who had helped him to overcome great challenges would help him to overcome the challenge he was facing.
I have to deal with anxiety every day because I have so many challenges that I am battling with—my writing career has not taken off yet, I have not earned living income yet, I am battling four diseases which cause me pain and humiliation, and that makes fear grip my heart and I get worried about the future.
However, when I remind myself of the fact that God gave me a scholarship which helped me to get a University education, that God has touched the heart of someone who has helped me to get a laptop, that God has helped me to get a Google Adsense account which has now given me the opportunity to earn money, that though my circumstances are very bad God provides me with food every day, it fills my heart with gratitude and that drives away fears and worries because I see that the God who helped me in the past, and who is helping me today, will help me tomorrow.
Therefore, remind yourself of what God has done for you before.
  • Take a sheet of paper and create two columns on it. Label one column “Challenges I Have Faced In The Past”. Label the other column “Ways God has Helped Me To Solve These Problems.”
  • Write down 20 problems that you faced in the past in the appropriate column, and the ways God helped you to solve those problems in the other column.
  • Ruminate on what God has done for you and it will strengthen your faith in the Lord. Consequently, you will believe that God will help you to solve the problems that may be causing you to get worried and that will help you to feel relaxed.

2.    Praise And Worship God When You Feel Anxious

In Acts 16: 25 , as Paul and Silas praised and worshipped God at midnight, God caused an earthquake to occur in the prison which set the two men free from the shackles that were binding them. In that same way, when you praise and worship God when you are in a “mental prison,” when you are bound by fears, He will cause an “earthquake” in your life which will set you free.
I do this when I feel very anxious, or I listen to inspirational gospel music on radio, I song along to some of them, I feel my spirit is strengthened, I feel happy, and that makes it easy for me to calm down.
So, when you are gripped by nervous feelings as a result of your fears, or when you fear that something will happen as you prepare to write an exam, as you go for a job interview, as you go out to search for a job, or as you go to work to face your intimidating boss again, start to praise and worship God.
To help you do this, remind yourself of some of the good things God has done for you, or remind yourself of God’s wonderful creations, such as your body, the sun, moon, stars, mountains, valleys, and oceans, and you will feel glad and that will help you to lift a song of praise to God.
Sing it will gladness and joy, focus on God, let it come from the depth of your heart, and God will honor  you because you honor Him and He will bring positive thoughts into your mind, just as He dropped a thought in Nehemiah’s head in Nehemiah 7: 5, which will help to dispel the mental torment you are going through.   

3.    Remind Yourself Of God’s Love For You

Sometimes, when you are going through suffering, when you experience one disappointment after the other, when life is full of challenges and difficulties, you tend to think God hates you or God delights to see you suffer, you feel cut off  from God, you feel the connection to heaven no longer exists, and that can make you anxious.
However, when you regularly remind yourself of God’s love for you, when you refuse to believe that God has abandoned you and that God no longer cares about you, it can help you to feel relaxed.
So, every day , make positive self-affirmations such as these, “God sent Jesus to die on the cross because of me.  God loves me and that is why He has not killed me inspite of all the sins I have committed against Him. God loves me and that is why I am going through these challenges because He wants to test me so that I can prove that I am a true son. God loves me and that is why inspite of the challenges , I still eat every day, that is why He protects me every day, that is why He has helped me in the past and I believe He will make a way for me to get out of this bad situation.” It will help you to feel that the God who loves you will not let you suffer forever, and that He will provide ways of escape even when the worst comes to pass, and that can help you to set your mind at rest.

4.    Read Matthew 6: 25—34 Every Day

Read this passage in which Jesus talks about the fruitlessness of worrying, and in which Jesus tells us not to be anxious about our lives, every morning and evening.
This passage will teach you that worry and anxiety are needless because the God who takes care of sparrows, who takes care of birds, is capable of taking care of you. Additionally, it will teach you that just as you were able to deal with challenges in the past, by the grace of God, you will be able to handle the challenges that you will face tomorrow and so you must learn to live one day at a time. Therefore, you will find it easier to calm down.

5.    Meditate On Bible Verses

Research shows that meditation is one way a person can deal with anxiety. You can therefore practice Biblical meditation to help you to deal with anxiety.
How do you do that?
  • Pick one Bible verse or Bible passage that you will focus on for the day. It must be a verse that teaches about how to deal with anxiety, such as Isaiah 41: 10 or Philippians 4: 6.
  • Spend five minute reading the verse or passage and then ruminate on it for another ten minutes. Commit the whole verse to memory if you can. Or, commit the lessons you learn from it to memory.
  • Throughout the day, as you go about your activities, find time to think about the passage and what it tells you about anxiety, and what to do to be rid of anxiety.
  • Implement what it teaches you.
 When you consider that everything is in God’s hands, you will feel relaxed and calm inside your soul.

6.    Fast Often

When you choose to forego eating food so that you can concentrate on reading your Bible, praying, glorifying God, humbling yourself before God, it helps you to control yourself better, you learn self-discipline and that can help you to control negative thoughts, which are sometimes the cause of anxiety, better.
Scientists also confirm that fasting can help a person to deal with anxiety. So, you can use fasting intermittently, especially when you are facing huge challenges which are giving you insomnia and which scare you, to deal with anxiety before an interview, for example, or to deal with anxiety caused by guilt so that you can ask for forgiveness from Jehovah.

7.    Prayer

Praying can also help one to deal with anxiety. Therefore, every day, say a prayer such as, “Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You for Your mercies and Your grace. Father, you know that since I finished school I have been jobless. That is causing me sleepless nights and I am filed with anxiety as a result. I want to earn so that I can take care of myself and marry, Lord, I want to earn so that I can pay my bills, help my family, and enjoy the world and the wonders You have created. Please, help me to get a good paying job. Make a way for me just as You showed Peter how to earn money, just as You turned around a great famine in Samaria and provided abundant food later, and just as You helped Jacob to get a good paying job. I know You will be merciful to me and I glorify You for that. Amen.”

Conclusion   

How to deal with anxiety the Christian way is to remember what God has done for you in the past, which will fill you with peace, to praise God for His goodness, to remind yourself of God’s love, to focus on Matthew 6 every day, as well as meditate, fast, and pray.

 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips to share? Share your wisdom with the world. Leave a comment.