Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Depression: What It Is, Symptoms, Causes, Types, and More

Humor helps me to deal with depression


Back in 2009, I experienced a marked diminished interest in all, or almost all, activities I had hitherto enjoyed. It lasted over three months. I did not feel motivated to get out of bed and work each day. I found it hard to concentrate on work every day. I felt life was not worth living and contemplated suicide. The diagnosis—major depressive disorder.

What is depression?

Depression is a fickle disease that warps your thoughts and makes you feel you are hopeless. It is the ultimate trickster among diseases—It tells you your lot in life should be misery and unhappiness. It tells you that you will never get better.

What are the symptoms of depression?

Depression symptoms are varied and no two people suffering from depression experience the exact same symptoms. Some people feel foggy and detached from the reality of life. Some people feel hopeless and wallow in pits of despair. Others go about looking happy, but feel empty and lonely deep down in their hearts.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about depression. When you inform someone you are battling depression, most times they look at you with a sort of contrived contempt in their eyes, mixed with an unspoken criticism that, if spoken aloud, might sound like “you just want an excuse to be lazy, stop pampering yourself and do something with your life.”
However, there is a reality of depression, which I want people without depression to understand.

What causes depression?

Depression can be caused by changes in the brain, changes in the gut, hormonal changes, chronic stress, trauma and other factors. Scientists also suggest that one is more likely to suffer depression when there is a history of depression in a family.

Types of depression

Major depressive disorder, which is characterized by overwhelming sadness or low energy which lasts for more than three months, affects about 16.2 million (6.7%) of American adults each year.
Psychotic depression, a type of major depression characterized by hallucinations and delusions, affects about 25% of patients admitted to hospital.
Persistent depressive disorder is chronic low-level depression that lasts for two years or longer. This type of depression affects about 1.5% of American adults each year. It occurs more often in women than men.
Bipolar disorder, in which a person experiences alternating energized and depressed moods, affects about 2.8% of American adults.
Seasonal depression is usually triggered by autumn and may continue throughout the winter. It affects about 5% of American adults. About 80% of sufferers are usually women.
Post-partum depression, in which women experience sadness, worthlessness and hopelessness after childbirth, affectsabout 80% of new mothers. The condition affects about 10% of new fathers. 

This monster affects children and teenagers

Your child or teenage son or daughter can also get depression. You must especially be on the lookout for signs of depression in your daughter because many girls suffer depression right after puberty. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends regular screening for teenagers.

Misjudged as being lazy

In 2009, when I was diagnosed while searching for work, I found it hard to sleep on many nights. I’d wake up feeling extremely tired and, consequently, I was unable to engage socially with friends and relatives. I withdrew from society because I just did not have the energy to indulge in long conversations etc. I slept a lot nearly every day (a condition also known as hypersomnia). Some called me “unsociable.” Others called me “lazy” and “aimless” and “unstable.” And some said “it’s all in your head.”
I was sad. Living hurt. I hated the fact I was experiencing a diminished ability to think clearly and constructively. That was hindering my ability to focus on my dreams for my future. I also felt broken. I felt completely alone.  I felt worthless. I felt it was shameful to be conceived as being lazy. Committing suicide seemed to be an option to end the shame.
I am not the only person struggling with depression. As of 2017, the World Health Organization estimated that over 300 million people were living with depression globally.

Stigma is perpetuated by ignorance

And my friends and family members are not the only ones who don’t understand what depression is.  There are many people who don’t understand depression and mental health in general. For example, one public attitude survey carried out in Tarrant County, Texas, conducted by the county’s Mental Health Connection and the University of North Texas in Denton revealed that more than 50% of the people surveyed think major depression may be caused by the way someone is raised and more than 60% of them thought the way to treat depression was to “pull yourself together.”
And that is not all. A study by researchers at Michigan State University  revealed in 2017 that mental health literacy is low among Americans. 4600 people were interviewed online in this survey which sought to find out people’s perception of how depression and other mental illnesses “look like” and how they are treated. It revealed that the vast majority of the respondents had no clue as to how depression is treated, for example.
According to the British Journal of Psychiatry, the less people know about mental illness, the more likely they are to be afraid of, or confused by, friends or neighbors who have mental diseases. Stigma creates more ignorance—when people see depression and other mental diseases as taboo subjects, they shut their minds and refuse to learn about them.
Such ignorance can make people hold ideas that misunderstand and misjudge people suffering from depression. That can lead to stigma, which in turn can discouragepeople from seeking help because people will think they are “crazy.”
Furthermore, friends and relatives of people with mental health diseases can’t identify that their loved ones who may not be themselves or who display symptoms of a mental disease need love, care and emotional support, and not condemnation and judgment.
Mental health illiteracy is worsened by information people get from the media. For example, a study carried out by scientists in Japan in 2016 revealed that if people thought depression was ingrained in the personality of some people, they were more likely to think people with mental illness were dangerous and unpredictable.  

Strategies I use to battle depression that has attacked me again

In 2017, my depression came back with full force. A number of physical diseases attacked me and that made me start feeling hopeless about my future. To tackle the mental illness, I have developed strategies to help me fight and maintain my sanity.
  • I write down my thoughts and feelings regularly and that helps me to clear my mind.
  • I remind myself of my strengths constantly to help me push out thoughts that suggest I am worthless.
  • I do very brisk walking when I have the time.
  • I make sure I get at least six hours of sleep every day.
  • I listen to inspirational music and sing sometimes for I’ve realized that helps me to become more positive about life.
  • I avoid negative news that can make me feel more depressed in a day.
  • I label negative thoughts for what they are –LIES- and immediately refer to them as lies when they come into my mind.
  • I make positive confessions and listen to positive messages and that helps to give me hope.
  • I also talk to family members, doctors, and my pastor when I get very depressed.
  • I recall funny scenes from books and movies and that helps me to laugh and feel more relaxed.
  • I play with rabbits sometimes.
  • I read my Bible, meditate on what I read, and pray for God’s help and grace to see me through these trying times.
  • I work on strengthening my faith in Jehovah-rafai, the LORD who heals, because a study suggests belief in God can help people deal with depression.

The economic cost of depression 

Depression affects the memory and concentration of sufferers, which in turn can adversely affect their ability to be productive. The total economic burden of depression is estimated to be about $210.5 billion per year. About 50% of that cost is attributable to absence from work, while about 47% of that cost is due to costs of medication and treatments.

There is help available for you so reach out

If you have depression, know that it can be treated easily. A combination of psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy and medication can help you get better. Cognitive behavioral therapy , which studies have found, is effective in treating depression, is especially useful if you find it hard to think clearly.
If you are experiencing depression, talk to someone.  A friend, your teacher, a sibling, a parent, a community leader. Anyone. Don’t keep your negative thoughts and feelings to yourself. Don’t hide your fears and worries from loved ones.
Open up.  Don’t listen to the voice that tells you that you are not worthy of caregiving or support.  Don’t listen to the voice that tells you that you are weak, that you ruin everything, that no one loves you, that no one cares, that you are a burden to parents or loved ones.
Don’t worry that if others know the depths of your illnesses they will think you are “crazy,” that you will be talked about, mocked and judged.
If you can’t communicate with these people for a number of reasons, call Samaritan’s 24 hour crisis hotline at 212-673-3000.
Optionally call the United Way Helpline at 1-800-233-4357.
If you feel like committing suicide call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
Read this article if you want to find therapists in your area
The National Alliance of Mental Illness (NAMI) offers the NAMI connection which gives you the opportunity to share your feelings and thoughts with others suffering from mental illness to help give you cathartic healing.

And if you are in the UK, visit https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/depression-help-guide.htm and read a directory of resources available for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips to share? Share your wisdom with the world. Leave a comment.